The world right now loves duct tape. It can make anybody feel like we can fix anything and make anything work the way we want it to. But is it true that it can fix anything? What about same-sex marriage? Can we use duct tape to replace the umbrella that represents marriage?
Let's see...
...
...
...
...
...
...
BEHOLD! The duct-tape umbrella:
Would you trust this umbrella? Maybe for a while, yes. Duct tape can be waterproof. It'll protect you from most of the rain and sleet, but over time it grows brittle. The rain will ruin the adhesive, and it will fall apart. Oh, but the world has endorsed this umbrella, and has just recently started handing them out to tens of thousands of male-male or female-female couples. But God does not, will not, and cannot endorse these. They cannot fold up to let the sun (blessings) in, and they ultimately will not last.
The only umbrellas that will truly endure the storms of life are those manufactured, delivered, and guaranteed by the eternal designer and creator of marriage: the Almighty God!
Now I have to jump off the umbrella analogy and speak with all seriousness:
I feel sorry that people feel justified in attacking LGBT individuals or couples, treating them as inferiors, and denying them of human rights. These rights include the right to have jobs, educations, and homes, and the right to feel safe and unthreatened. They deserve to have friends who appreciate them, and especially to have families because family is what brings the greatest joy and security in anybody's life.
But the biggest reason my heart breaks for my LGBT fellow men and women is that they are placing their souls on the altar of homosexuality, and will, in the end, lose their rights to eternal life. I'm sure that some people are genetically predisposed to have attractions to the same human, but they still are agents of their own destiny. Their choices determine who they ultimately are, and where their loyalties lie.
And yet, I digress. Their loyalties do not lie to me. I am not their judge, but a loving and concerned sister. I can argue all day and try to convince others to have the same opinions, but all it will do is awaken arguments and contention. I've tried too often to speak fairly with others about this issue, and I know that all they do is make me feel worse and maybe even guilty of pushing them away.
So, I would simply encourage emulating the examples of the apostles, prophet, and Christ himself. Stand as examples of true marriage, but with love for all other beliefs. Christ said, "go and sin no more", but even he in his perfection would not throw stones of persecution. Nobody is guilty for being tempted, we all have our own temptations, and we all sin differently. The only difference is whether we repent of our sins or justify them to the world.
In the end, I love my gay and lesbian friends, and I want to tell them all that they are not incompatible with our church and our beliefs. For more info, please view this LDS endorsed website: Mormons and Gays.
Eventually, the world will come to realize that the duct tape umbrella, although trendy, is not a viable substitution for one designed by the expert. Until then, let's show charity to all men and let our light so shine.

No comments:
Post a Comment